the new poppy

please log in. thank you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

the new poppy

please log in. thank you.

the new poppy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

my lit summary

xox.
    xox.

my lit summary Empty my lit summary

Post  xox. Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 pm

For my project in lit, we need to look back on our sophomore year and write a short, well-written summary about a book written by an American author. I chose the house of the seven gables by nathaniel hawthorne. Tell me what you think. Smile

Greed, treachery, mesmerism, and murder are just some of the bricks Hawthorne uses to build The House of the Seven Gables. Generations before the present story begins, wealthy Colonel Pyncheon covets Matthew Maule's land. When Maule is hanged for witchcraft, he puts a curse on the Colonel - and all his descendants. Now the menacing Judge Pyncheon continues the family tradition of hiding cruelty under a dazzling smile, while his scowling niece, Hepzibah, and half-mad nephew, Clifford, are reduced to poverty by his machinations. But the younger generation, embodied in their distant cousin Phoebe, becomes a ray of hope penetrating the dark house.

Though Hawthorne openly discusses his book's "moral" in it's preface, The House of the Seven Gables is no dry sermon. In fact, a strong stream of poetic fantasy runs thrugh it, which the author acknowledges by calling it a "romance," rather than a novel. Like his other great works, The Hous of the Seven Gables reflects Hawthorne's rich understanding of complex motives, and of individuals caught in the unending struggle between highest aspirations and basest desires.
    xox.
    xox.

my lit summary Empty Re: my lit summary

Post  xox. Sun May 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Anything? This is due tuesday and if I need critisicism, I need it noww. D:
    rosie
    rosie
    Admin

Post  rosie Sun May 16, 2010 10:45 pm

i haven't read the book so it's difficult for me to tell you if this is a good summary

but don't get lost in the vocabulary (i do that a lot), the second paragraph is a little wordy.
    xox.
    xox.

Post  xox. Sun May 16, 2010 10:54 pm

ok. i see what you mean. when I write reports and shit, i get really wordy. but when im not stuffing my face into my laptops screen, furiously typing a report I use all these big words that I never use while talking to people. I did get a little to wordy, but the book is really wordy. For those of us who like writing and reading with some expanded vocabulary, this book is for you. they have a million copies of these at used bookstores so you get it cheap.
    rosie
    rosie
    Admin

Post  rosie Sun May 16, 2010 11:15 pm

just don't force the vocabulary.
    xox.
    xox.

Post  xox. Sun May 16, 2010 11:23 pm

dhjfkcnansk sorry. im really tired.

Sponsored content